Friday, May 14, 2010

On a tightrope between dust and dreams....

I don't know why but I seem to write things here that are beautiful and cryptic. I'll talk about the older faded stories of my life as if they were once scattered dreams in a lost diary or describe a phoenix burst of emotion that I'm in the midst of raging through or walking on a cloud from. I have this tendency to view the world like an impressionistic painting. Thinking of color...illumination fascinates my soul. When I was in Manhattan a few weekends ago I sat with a fancy dinner underneath white table cloths and soft orange lights that made the blue and gold wine bottles on the bar glow like the hues in Picasso's Starry Night. A few hours before we had taken a wrong turn on the subway and ended up in a lovely Latin barrio. We passed a sunny park where a few old gentleman took out their conga drums and Spanish guitars and began singing. Kids spoke Spanish on the streets. We turned on the corner of an outdoor cafe where couples laughed and danced to live salsa music. Lovely memory. When I sleep at night my dreams are like half erased sketches to me. My grandmother is dying and I have to think about when my life will be living without her soon. She loves Jesus so completely. I send her cards in the mail and go home when I can to visit. I'll remember moments in time with her that have made parts of me...we'll me. How does that happen exactly and how does one forget and remember so easily? Today I remembered a boy I had forgotten from college I don't think I ever told anyone about. His name was Micah he was tall and thin with dark black lashes and curly hair. He was a christian and we talked about his name and the prophet it was taken from. He was creative and funny and I remember half way through the course realizing that he had one blue and one brown eye. I told him I hadn't noticed till then and he said he was a little self conscious about it but I remember thinking how unique and beautiful it made him look. How well it seemed to fit his character. I can't remember if I told him so or not. Funny thing what a day brings.

1 comment:

Lisa Biggs Crum said...

I was typing out a dream I had sketched/written in pencil on note cards two years ago when I got the RSS feed of this post. How interesting is that. My notes are faded. The memory of the dream is still in my mind but somewhat faded like the pencil marks on the note cards. Your post seemed to flow with my dream - not that it had anything at all to do with it but it just seemed to be a continuation of the same world somehow. I like that world... somewhere between dust and dreams. A friend - who is in my dream - buried her mother today. Flashes of memory of her fun-hearted mom - partial pictures, laughs, smiles. I like that world. I'd like to stay in that world more often but seldom does anyone come into that world with me.